So you’re curious about combining CBD with melatonin. Maybe you’ve incorporated CBD in your self-care routine, and now you want to target your sleep by incorporating melatonin. Or you’ve been taking melatonin as a part of your sleep routine, and now you want to add CBD, but you aren’t sure how the two will effect you.
If so, you’re not alone. Millions of people are turning to natural supplements like CBD and melatonin to help them get the sleep they need. In fact, there is a growing trend of combining CBD with melatonin for better sleep, and natural remedies like Sweet Dreams Gummies are becoming increasingly popular.
While we need more studies directly related to the effects of combining CBD with melatonin, what we do know already can help us understand why the two compounds are complimentary, and can help you improve your sleep.
First and Foremost – The Fundamentals
What is CBD or Cannabidiol?
Cannabidiol, more popularly known as “CBD”, is the second most prominent cannabinoid produced by the cannabis plant. CBD is produced by the hemp plant in higher amounts than the marijuana plant, which produces higher amounts of THC – the primary cannabinoid produced by the cannabis plant.
CBD is not an intoxicating compound, meaning it will not get you “high”. It’s actually more popularly known as a therapeutic compound, with numerous studies showing CBD to have several different benefits for people. The smart folks at Harvard know more about that than we do, see what they have to say.
A lot of these benefits come from CBD interacting with specific receptors in the endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is a neuromodulatory system in humans and animals that is responsible for helping to maintain homeostasis in the systems of the body. Some of those systems have a role in sleep regulation.
Benefits associated with CBD
- Reduced anxiety
- Improved sleep
- Anti-inflammatory, helping with some forms of pain management associated with inflammation
- Helps treat several forms of epilepsy
- Reduction in cravings associated with addiction
What is melatonin?
The darkness hormone. In response to darkness, your brain naturally produces melatonin as a way to signal that it’s time to sleep. Supplementing with melatonin is a popular way to correct your circadian rhythm and correct your sleep cycle.
Benefits associated with melatonin
- Falling asleep easier and/or quicker
- Staying asleep
- Improved eye health
- Reduced seasonal depression
- The list goes on…
CBD and Melatonin – The Sweet Dreams Team
Combining CBD with melatonin can enhance the effects of both supplements for better sleep. CBD can help promote relaxation and reduce anxiety, while melatonin can help regulate the sleep-wake cycle and improve sleep quality.
The ECS is trying to make sure the melatonin is being used optimally, and the CBD is helping to make sure the ECS is working optimally. Consuming either compound can help someone improve their sleep, so combining CBD with melatonin gives you an even better chance to restore balance to your sleep cycles, and improve your sleep.
5 Benefits of the Sweet Dreams Team – CBD and Melatonin
- Improved sleep – As we’ve already mentioned, CBD and melatonin certainly have shown the ability to improve your sleep when they are consumed individually. Combining the two can enhance those benefits that are already available, and bring some synergistic benefits into play.
- Lack of morning grogginess – One of those synergistic benefits that comes into play when we combine CBD with melatonin is a noticeable lack of grogginess the next morning. We all know that morning grogginess associated with strong sleep aides. Taking too much melatonin has been known to cause this. When you combine the right balance of CBD with melatonin, you can get noticeably improved sleep and wake up feeling genuinely refreshed.
- Mental and physical relaxation – CBD is commonly known to help us calm our minds, it can actually help us to calm our muscles and nerves in some cases. When combining the calming potential of CBD with the calming potential of melatonin, your entire body gets a gentle elevator ride down from the daily chaos floor to the Sweet Dreams level.
- Anti-inflammatory benefits – Inflammation is typically the bodies response to a problem. A proper sleep cycle can play an important role in fixing inflammatory problems. Once again, CBD has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects, so when you combine that with the balanced rest melatonin delivers, you get synergistic benefits.
- Benefits unrelated to sleep – Both CBD and melatonin have several benefits associated with them that are not related to sleep. We highly encourage you to read further about those potential benefits, but there are way too many to cover in this blog.
It’s important to note that we need more research to fully substantiate this information about CBD and melatonin, and these compounds tend to effect everyone uniquely. Each of these compounds is generally seen as safe, but it is always important to best understand how you may react to them before consuming. Please consult with your personal healthcare professional before trying CBD or melatonin.
Hopefully this information was helpful to you and takes you further down your natural remedies path.
We would love to hear from y’all about your experiences with the Life Leaf Sweet Dreams Gummies! Good, bad, indifferent, maybe hilarious? Whatever your story is, we would love to hear it. Leave us a review on the website and let us know your story.
Feel better today, y’all!